Did PO say Vendor would Defend claims that buyer was negligent?
Gorelick v Star Markets Company Inc. Mass Appeals Court 2023 FACTS Supermarket (Shaws, a part of Star Markets) bought automatic doors from the manufacturer and installer (Stanley) under a Purchase Order.A customer (Gorelick) sued both Shaws and Stanley saying the door swing injured him. The negligence claims were – against Shaws – failure to maintain,… Read More »Did PO say Vendor would Defend claims that buyer was negligent?
Mass Most Interested in Claim against Mass lawyer A case involving the recording artist Prince forces Massachusetts Appeals Court to decide if Mass or Minnesota law applies to a legal malpractice claim. Comercia Bank &Trust v Brown & Rosen LLC Mass. App. Ct. (2022) FACTS A sound engineer who worked with the recording artist Prince… Read More »Whose Law Rules Prince Estate Claim?
Vermont Mutual v Poirier SJC (2022) FACTS Sewage got into a homeowner’s basement. Poirier (doing business as Servpro of Fitchburg-Leominster) cleaned it up. Poirier warned the homeowner to stay out of the basement while the disinfectants dried but did not warn her that going in, before the disinfectants dried, could be dangerous to her health.… Read More »93A Attorney’s Fees Not Covered by GL
Commercial landlord intended to coerce tenant to give concessions beyond those from party’s agreement. Massachusetts SJC decides H1 Lincoln Inc. v South Washington Street LLC (2022) Court uses word ‘extort’ 26x in decision. Landlord strung tenant along with permit cooperation and tried to grab the land tenants bought. Limitation on liability disregarded. FACTS Landlord wanted… Read More »Misconduct Commercial Landlord -> 2x Damages
Emotional distress ≠ bodily injury. Mass auto choice of law.
Emotional distress of spouse from witnessing spouses’ fatal injury was not “bodily injury” for purposes of collecting from Massachusetts car insurer. Mass Appeals Court case Liberty Mutual Insurance v Correia (Mass App Ct 2022) Per person limits in car accident coverage selection pages for Massachusetts automobile insurance covering Massachusetts owners/drivers limits purely emotional distress claim.… Read More »Emotional distress ≠ bodily injury. Mass auto choice of law.
Makers of non-defective components are not liable for damages caused when the part is added to a bigger assembly which does cause damage. Massachusetts SJC case Nemirovsky v Daikin North America LLC (2021) supports component parts doctrine. HVAC system = integrated product. AC fan coils delivered per specs of system designer corroded prematurely. Coil maker… Read More »HVAC Fail not Due to Maker of Coil
Homeowners doesn’t cover defense of home condition warranty. Norfolk & Dedham v Norton Ma App Ct (2021) FACTS The homeowners made statements in the seller’s disclosure while they owned the place; then they sold the house. Flooding from severe storms hit a house two years after it had been sold. The buyers sued years later… Read More »Homeowners Ins No Seller Warranty Defense
This site was created using WordPress and uses Google Analytics to understand how posts are being received.
• This site has Google Analytics Advertising Features implemented involving Google Analytics cookies.
• Some of the ads you receive on pages across the internet are customized based on predictions about your interests generated from your visits over time and across different web-sites. This type of ad customization — sometimes called “interest-based” or “online behavioral” advertising — is enabled through various technologies, including browser cookies as well as other non-cookie technologies.
• Sliver Lake Legal has no policy or intent to use first and third party cookies together.
• Visitors can opt-out of the Google Analytics Advertising Features, including through Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means (for example, the NAI’s consumer opt-out).
• Users should also visit Google Analytics’ currently available opt-outs for the web.